Gone shopping?

Gone shopping?
Or has no new shoes changed our habits?

Friday 11 May 2007

Novelty

After getting back the items I bought in New York (and hidden away during Lent so I didn't indulge in them), I feel like I've been suddenly given lots (well, a few) lovely pressies. It feels like the (two) new pairs of boots, the bracelet & the CDs are brand new and give me that lovely post-shopping glow.

This got me wondering whether it's actually the things themselves we desire or the novelty of them. I've heard that some parents keep their children's toys on a 'rotation' so that some are put away for a while and then brought out after a few weeks. The child feels like it's been given a whole load of new toys to play with and the old ones go away to be brought out again later. aside from being super-organised, this seems to demonstrate the desire we have for "new stuff".

Is this simply greed? The constant desire for things I don't yet have. But unless we get rid of the old stuff we just amass a mountain of junk. I am particularly prone to this.

1 comment:

Ebubekir said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.