Gone shopping?

Gone shopping?
Or has no new shoes changed our habits?

Tuesday 13 March 2007

So far, so good

Well, we're a couple of weeks in, and so far it is proving easier than I expected. This is partly because I have a rather boring lifestyle that didn't involve lots of drinking and shopping anyway and hardly went out (this is called being a parent). I am missing buying books and CDs, but I am so far able to resist temptation by the stunning strategy of not going to shops that sell them.

What I can't claim yet is to feel any great spiritual benefit. In the past I've always been pretty poor at giving anything up for Lent, so in that sense I'm doing better than ever before, but it doesn't feel like self-denial. The hardest thing has been giving up chocolate on the way home from work, but I am compensating by eating more when I get home, so I don't think that there is any great health benefit.

But then again, Angela is going out for dinner this evening, but has promised to only barely enjoy it.

Toby

1 comment:

Rose said...

I think your Lent project is a worthwhile re-evaluation, though perhaps the most valuable part is deciding what is essential. Obviously you don't have costs concerned with the Internet as the blog is happening. Where do you put things like stationary? Why underwear? Can't you mend it? Is it a money saving exercise or do you have a Lenten offering?
My Lenten re-evaluation has been more associated with time and how I use it, so I've given up computer games and mystery novels -it is worthwhile just to realise how hooked I had become!
Good luck with your challenge